|Auto body shop and garage workers can be exposed to|
chemicals, vehicle exhaust, asbestos and other pollutants.
That is why the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) is working with partners to promote research and improve workplace practices.
Most of the auto repair and maintenance businesses are small, with fewer than 20 people, but they all face the same kind of health and safety issues:
- Exposure to chemicals and vehicle exhaust
- Exposure to biological materials and asbestos
- Injuries like sprains, cuts and bruises
- Slips, trips and falls
- Fatalities from falling objects, transportation events, fires and explosions
- And more
Even small businesses can take inexpensive steps toward a safer workplace.
First, business owners and managers need to recognize the risks and become aware of the most pressing concerns.
Then they can take the following actions:
- Identify chemical, fire, noise, safety and environmental hazards and train workers on them
- Switch to water-based cleaners and safer products where possible
- Inspect tools and equipment regularly
- Ask workers to report hazards and symptoms right away
- Keep dust wet at all time and avoid cleaning with compressed air when repairing brakes and clutches to protect against cancer and lung disease from asbestos
- Wear protective gloves and other protective equipment when working with solvents and other hazardous materials
- Clean up spills promptly
Source: Risk & Insurance
Improve indoor air quality in auto repair shops
|The AirRhino combines activated carbon and HEPA filters|
for superior chemical and particle filtration.
Auto repair and maintenance workers are routinely exposed to solvents, oil, gasoline fumes and other respiratory hazards, which can stay in the air long after the initial use.
One way to help clean the air is to use an industrial-strength air cleaner with a large activated carbon filter and a HEPA filter to remove airborne chemicals, gases, fumes, odors as well as tiny particles, dust and fibers.
Electrocorp’s air cleaners for auto body shops and garages can tackle large amounts of indoor air pollutants and help keep the air clean and healthy.
One of the most recommended air cleaners for this industry is the AirRhino, a versatile air cleaner that can be hung on the ceiling or stand on the ground and that features up to 100 lb. activated carbon filter and/or superior dust and particle filtration.
Contact Electrocorp for more information and options.