|Inhaling asbestos fibers can lead to lung diseases.|
A coroner ruled that a woman who washed her husband’s clothes died after contracting cancer from the asbestos dust from his overalls.
The woman contracted mesothelioma in the spring of 2011 and died in October the same year.
Her husband of more than 60 years was a carpenter and was working for a construction and renovation company, doing work that often involved handling asbestos-containing building materials such as ceiling tiles and asbestos-lined pipes.
His wife shook out his dusty clothes each day before washing them, which exposed her to asbestos fibers.
Asbestos fibers can be harmful when they are disturbed and inhaled.
They can penetrate deep into the lungs and cause lung disease such as asbestosis or cancer such as mesothelioma years after the exposure occurred.
The woman’s husband was arguably exposed to larger amounts of asbestos fibers, but never developed cancer.
Source: Reading Post
Keeping the air clean a health and safety priority
During construction, renovations, mold remediation and asbestos abatement, employers need to be extra cautious about the levels of indoor air pollutants.
A portable, industrial-strength air cleaner with activated carbon, HEPA and UV germicidal filtration can help remove a wide range of chemicals, gases and odors, dust, particles, bacteria, viruses and mold to help keep the air clean.
For more information, contact Electrocorp.