|Seniors can be affected by |
polluted indoor air.
Polluted indoor air has been linked to sneezing, coughing, eye, nose and throat irritation, allergic reactions, aggravated asthma, even cancer.
Assisted living facilities and retirement homes can improve their indoor air quality in many ways and also adopt more environmentally friendly practices.
Here are some tips:
- Open windows regularly and turn off the A/C when possible. Opening windows is a cost-effective way to increase ventilation in the residences and provide fresh air. Make sure the outdoor conditions are agreeable in terms of temperature, air pollution and noise.
- Opt for individual HVAC systems for each unit in the residence. This makes it easier for seniors to control their living environment and can reduce costs and complaints.
- Install programmable thermostats. The thermostats can make sure the temperature drops overnight, for example, to save on heating costs.
- Use low-flow toilets. These can save a lot of water and are much better for the environment.
- Clean with environmentally friendly and non-toxic cleaning agents. Common cleaning products can add to poor indoor air quality because they may contain harsh chemicals and volatile organic compounds.
- Vacuum cleaning the right way: A vacuum cleaner with a HEPA filter is more effective and won’t release as many particles into the air.
- Use low-VOC paints when renovating: Normal paints can off-gas volatile organic compounds for a long time, so low-VOC or even zero-VOC paints are a much better alternative.
Improve the IAQ in senior residence and facilities
Cleaner indoor air can help improve the health and well-being of residents, who may be affected by a wide range of pollutants, including chemicals, gases, odors, bacteria, viruses, mold, particles and dust.
Electrocorp offers portable air cleaners with a multi-stage filtration system that can effectively remove these pollutants from the ambient air.
The air cleaners are equipped with deep-bed activated carbon filters, HEPA filters and optional UV lamps to provide the most enhanced filtration power.
Contact Electrocorp for more information and more options.