A medical school in Marietta, Georgia, had to be evacuated last week due to fumes, serving as a reminder that many products and devices in medical settings could potentially be harmful to human health.
More than a dozen people were overcome by fumes last Friday and had to be treated after they were exposed to a type of surgical super-glue during class.
The fumes became a problem after a vial was thrown in the trash and broke, authorities said.
See the video:
Typical hazards in medical schools and hospital settings
Indoor air quality in hospitals and medical schools can be polluted by bacteria and viruses as well as volatile organic compounds (VOCs), mold and fungi, chemicals such as glutaraldehyde (used for equipment sterilization), diethyl ether (anesthetic gas) and formaldehyde (used to preserve tissue).
There could also be high levels of PCBs and other toxins.
Along with source control, proper handling and ventilation, powerful portable air cleaners for hospitals and medical settings will help keep the air clean and healthy.
Electrocorp’s air cleaners feature the most effective filter combination of activated carbon and HEPA plus optional UV germicidal filtration to remove the widest range of contaminants from the ambient air.
For more information and suggestions, contact Electrocorp.