|Plaintiff settled after becoming sick|
from toxic mold exposure.
Stefanie Krathen Ginnis will receive $166,500 in a settlement approved by county commissioners on Tuesday, the Sun Sentinel reports.
She was among 19 current and former courthouse employees who sued and was the first to settle.
The plaintiffs claimed they became sick as a result of toxic mold and asbestos fibers at the courthouse.
Ginnis’ husband, Eric Ginnis, was also a plaintiff. He told the Sun Sentinel his wife had “strong evidence” of cause because the mold found in her nose during complex sinus surgery matched the mold in the courthouse.
Stefanie Krathen Ginnis worked at the courthouse from 2003 to 2010.
Assistant County Attorney Tony Rodriguez said the settlement doesn’t signal that the county is willing to settle all the cases.
"We have to look at all of these on a case-by-case basis,” he told the Sun Sentinel.
Construction has begun on a new courthouse and could be completed in about two years.
Source: ABA Journal
Concerned about mold and other indoor air contaminants in your workplace? Breathe cleaner air at work by using a portable carbon and HEPA air cleaners from Electrocorp. Contact Electrocorp for more information.