Wednesday, May 1, 2013
Escambia Co. Workers Hospitalized for Chemical Exposure
Four workers at an Escambia County office complex in Pensacola, Florida were hospitalized and the building was briefly evacuated after workers smelled apparent chemical fumes from a nearby laboratory.
The Pensacola News Journal reports that the building reopened Wednesday afternoon after it was deemed safe by the county's hazardous-materials unit.
Escambia County spokesman Bill Pearson says the smell began on the first floor near a laboratory used for water sampling.
Officials said exposure to the chemical can cause burning of the eyes and throat and vomiting but that the chemical is not life-threatening.