|There are ways to protect chemically sensitive |
workers from low level everyday exposures.
While some people develop extreme chemical sensitivities that are chronic and disabling, others can be managed with the right types of precautionary measures and policies.
In a recent presentation with the title “Accommodating Consumers and Staff with Chemical Sensitivities” by the National Center for Environmental Health Strategies, Inc., Mary Lamielle listed workplace policies and measures that are recommended for people affected by CS.
The recommendations include
- No smoking policy
- Fragrance-free policy
- Integrated pest management (IPM) to avoid pesticide exposure
- Promotion of least toxic or low impact cleaning and maintenance products, practices, materials and remodeling substances
- Notification policy
- Vehicle idling policy
- Cell phone and EMF shielding policy
- Private office with window that opens for person with chemical sensitivities
- Increasing fresh air supply and ventilation
- Swap carpeting with hard surface flooring and discuss suitability of all materials with affected person
- Keep immediate work environment free of office equipment (i.e. large format printers)
- Off-gas all new materials, furnishings, supplies before installation
- Metal or glass desk and shelving (no veneered wood or particle board to avoid formaldehyde emissions)
- Work schedule options and work-from-home options
- Educate management and co-workers to avert stigma and harassment
|Carbon or charcoal is the best|
air filter media for chemicals,
gases and odors.
Source: National Center for Environmental Health Strategies, Inc.
Carbon and HEPA air cleaners for the workplace
Good indoor air quality is a must for workers suffering from chemical sensitivities.
Unfortunately, most indoor environments – including offices, schools, restaurants, hospitals and other settings – can expose workers to indoor air pollutants such as chemicals, gases, odors, particles, dust, bacteria, viruses and mold.
Electrocorp has developed highly efficient and portable air cleaners for commercial and industrial applications that feature the most relevant filtration media (deep-bed granular activated carbon and HEPA plus optional UV germicidal filtration), the largest adsorbent surface areas and the most customizable options and features.
Contact Electrocorp for more information.